I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Top o' the tortilla to ye

 
Yet another post in the vein of go-withs, condiments, seasonings, and general topping-off-mundane-stuff you normally eat. A while back on the Gentle Chef Facebook forum, someone mentioned their undying love for Peppercot Sauce. Which I have never seen 'round these parts, but had vaguely heard of. So after some internet rambling around I learned that this is basically an apricot preserves/jam, ground chilies, and vinegar type sauce. 

Sounds good so far, basically a Southwestern chutney. And I went in search of the original. Not available here on the east coast, as far as I can tell. And I almost ordered some, but really, if the ingredients are that simple, should I go to that expense?

No. Well at least not right off the bat.

Some day I will trial the original Peppercot Sauce[s], but until then this is what I came up with. And I expect it is not too far from the revered originals, given that the ingredient list was pretty simple. Spicy, sweet, zingy. Just the ticket for an otherwise bland fajita or taco.

Chilecot Sauce

10 oz. jar apricot preserves
1/2  cup apple cider vinegar
3 tsp. dried New Mexico chile flakes to taste, depending on the hotness of the chiles. Note that my dried chilies which I then ground into powder were rather mild; you may not need as much. Start with a teaspoon, blend, and taste. The heat will spread, so don't overdo it unless you have bullet-proof taste buds.

Blend all ingredients thoroughly and chill for a couple of hours before using. Store in a tightly closed bottle in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment