I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Whole lotta shakin' goin' on


This week is starting out pretty annoying. After a relatively quiet couple of months without recurring tummy troubles (i.e., IBS), my innards decided to start some tectonic rumbling again. So I'm home today trying to get them calmed down.

It's definitely a soup day, gray and threatening, even without the tummy issues. So as luck would have it, I have been craving black bean soup for a week or so and made up a huge pot last night.

My doctor has told me that upping the fiber in my diet would help soothe the plumbing, and with my diet being plant-based I should know this.

Plus I should also know that I can't keep shoving food in my mouth like I'm in a race to the finish line. Too many years as a hairdresser in the previous life gave me very bad eating habits.

The upside is that this soup turned out really good, so lunches for the rest of the week are taken care of. Now I just have to learn to take care of the rest of me.

Black Bean Soup with Corn and Tomatoes

1 Tbs. neutral oil
1 large onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced

1 Tbs. chile powder, or to taste, such as Guajillo or New Mexico (I like these as they're not too incendiary)
1 Tbs. ground cumin, or to taste
½ tsp. black pepper, or to taste

4 cups vegetable broth (such as Better Than Bouillon)
1 lb. dry black beans, soaked and cooked until tender, or 4 15 oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1½ cups fresh or frozen/thawed corn, or a 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
2 medium-large fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced, or a 14-15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes with juice

Optional: ¼ cup or so minced cilantro, to stir in at the end of cooking

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.

Sauté onion through garlic for 5-10 minutes until onion is tender.

Add chili powder through black pepper, and sauté for 1 minute.

Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 30 minutes. Use an immersion blender to puree soup to desired texture. Stir in the minced cilantro if using.

Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. I found I didn't have to add any salt as the Better Than Bouillon concentrate I made the broth with had plenty. Serve with cornbread (recipe to follow).

This could also be made in a crock pot. Saute the vegetables first, add everything to the crock pot, and cook on low for a few hours.

Adapted from a recipe at AllRecipes.com.

2 comments:

  1. This soup sounds so good--it reminds me of one my grandpa used to make and give to us in big freezer containers! Corn and black beans go so well together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiersten, I was going to do it with just black beans, but decided what the hey, add some corn, and it's so much sweeter that way. Doesn't need any embelishment at all.

      Delete