I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Sunday, May 22, 2011

No fishies need apply


As promised, this is the non-anchovy version of Worcestershire sauce I use when Wooster is required.

The commercial version I buy on occasion uses tamarind paste and shiitake mushrooms, and I will experiment with a recipe containing those ingredients in the near future, but the recipe following serves rather well in the meantime, and uses readily available ingredients.

Vegetarian Worcestershire Sauce

Inspired by a recipe in Joanne Stepaniak's original "Uncheese Cookbook"

¾ cups water
½ cup tamari soy sauce (use wheat/gluten-free if desired, or whatever soy sauce you have at hand)
6 Tbs. agave nectar (almost everybody carries this now)
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbs. molasses
2 tsp. ground ginger
½ tsp. garlic granules
½ tsp. onion granules
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. New Mexico chile powder (just the chile itself, dried and ground) or cayenne pepper
¼ tsp. ground cloves

Place all the ingredients in a blender, puree until smooth, and refrigerate- a recycled 16 oz. bottle should be just the ticket for storing.

2 comments:

  1. Now this is a recipe to hold on to. It's so hard for me to get the vegetarian version in stores... And even though I had managed to get a bottle recently, just the other night, I knocked it off the shelf and smashed it into a million sticky, syrupy pieces. I couldn't have stumbled upon your post at a better time. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hannah, and I will absolutely post the next version, if I get it right, using tamarind and shiitake mushrooms. The beauty of this version is the relative simplicity.

    ReplyDelete