I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super [Something] Bowl Sunday


Since I've never exactly been a football fan, today is not being spent prepping for the Super Bowl, but painting doors and occasionally checking in on the Toilet Bowl! The all day bath renovation blow-out extravaganza on the DIY (Do-it-Yourself) network!

I have picked two squares in the Super Bowl pool at work, however, and fully expect to NOT win any quarter, as in the past. But if by some miracle my numbers win (8-0 or 2-7, Steelers-Packers) that could mean two gallons of paint per quarter, woo-hoo! So I may have to switch from the TB to the SB to check the game from time to time, just to see how much paint I've won!

The brothers and Dad are gathering at his house to consume mass quantities watch the game, so yesterday I took over some supplies- Dad's weekly ration of Banana Bread, and Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cookies, to make sure they get their sugar quota met. The bro's will take care of the salt, fat, and alcohol quota.

Oatmeal cookies are my absolute favorites and frankly I could skip the chocolate component, but once in a while some chips are OK. This batch started out with the original Nestle Choc-Oat-Chip Cookies recipe, and is dead-easy to make plant-based. Unfortunately the store I went to at the last minute didn't have non-dairy chips, so I did get the dairy kind for this batch, but next time I will plan ahead and stop at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods to get just plain ol' no milk chocolate chips.

For this batch I only made half a recipe (although the quantities below are for a full recipe), used Earth Balance and soy milk for the original butter and dairy milk, and egg replacer for the egg. Also I doubled the soy milk since the batter seemed a bit dry, and may add a tablespoon or so more next time, so they spread out a little better. Finally- no nuts! These cookies are chunky enough for my taste, but if you want, add a cup of chopped nuts with the chocolate chips, as per the original recipe.

These guys are scrumptious but very rich, so proceed with caution! I advise following cookie consumption with lengthy dog-walking, if you are not yelling yourself silly at a Super (or Toilet) Bowl party.

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

Makes 5 dozen ~2½" cookies

1¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt

1¼ cups packed brown sugar
1 cup Earth Balance
½ cup granulated sugar

2 prepared egg replacer servings
4 Tbs. soy or almond milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract

2½ cups quick or old-fashioned oats
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375° F.

Combine flour through salt in small bowl. Blend brown sugar through granulated sugar in a large bowl until creamy. Blend in egg replacer through vanilla.

Gradually blend in the flour mixture. Stir in oats and chocolate chips and mix well. Place rounded tablespoons on ungreased baking sheets. I got thirty 2½" cookies from a half recipe, so expect sixty of the same size for the full recipe.

Bake 9-10 minutes for chewy cookies or 12-13 minutes for crispy cookies. My preference is crispy, and 13 minutes should be perfect, but I let them go for 15 minutes last time and some of the chips at the bottom of the cookies burned a bit.

Remove pans from the oven and cool for a couple of minutes in the pans, then remove cookies from the pans and place on wire racks to finish cooling. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment