I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Longing for a little magic


It is 19 unspeakable degrees F outside and doesn't promise to get much warmer today. Or for the next several days (except for it MIGHT get above freezing on Tuesday, hoo boy!)

Must keep repeating to self, over and over: "it's OK, the days are getting longer, the days are getting longer..."

Not fast enough for me, but it sure feels good to complain. So what are the upsides, if any, to the deep freeze of 2010-2011?

The apple trees in the Mid-A will be happy as clams when spring arrives. They've had lots of chill hours.

Maybe some of the garden pests won't survive? Always worth a hope.

Hibernating critters will get to snooze longer.

We will be so gosh darn happy to see spring arrive that the real estate market will stage a miraculous comeback and my house will sell in no time flat.

(Raucous laughter from the internet).

So last month or thereabouts, while longing for the new grilling season, I found this recipe online. The author owns several traditional barbecue restaurants but hey, even they must serve something veggie here and there on occasion (something? anything?)! I've already used this to season seitan, and will try on oven fried potatoes next. It's essentially another all-purpose seasoning, such as one I posted about here (but with more kick, less salt), and has several ingredients in common.

I split out the garlic granules with onion granules just to soften the bite a bit (the original recipe did not call for onion granules) and cut the recipe quantity in half. This filled an 8 oz. jar, which will supply my grilling/roasting needs for a good long time. The reader may of course choose to keep the original recipe ingredients intact, depending on individual garlic tolerance. This was pretty kicky, so I will reduce the cayenne from a tablespoon to a teaspoon next time, or take it out altogether- there's still a healthy couple of tablespoons of chili powder in there and that's enough heat for me.

4 Tbs. sweet paprika
2 Tbs. chili powder (my favorite: New Mexico)
2 Tbs. ground cumin
2 Tbs. salt
2 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. granulated garlic
1 Tbs. granulated onion
1 Tbs. mustard powder
1 Tbs. ground black pepper
1 tsp. ground cayenne pepper

Pulse everything in a food processor to combine and store in an airtight jar in the pantry. A recycled 8 oz. mayo jar was perfect for this quantity.

If you want a front label, just Google "Magic Dust" and grab one from the images. If you want a back label, print one up according to the ingredients you used (I printed mine 2.5" high and 2" wide to fit my jar). It's handy to have the ingredients listed on the back of the jar for quick refills (but I will need a new label for the next batch to reflect the reduced or eliminated cayenne- such a wimp!)


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I've never heard of Magic Dust, bit it sounds great. I love cumin, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper on pretty much everything. I have yet to experiment with various kinds of chili powder, but it sounds like the kind of thing I would get really in to!

    ReplyDelete