I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Saturday, December 18, 2010

When life hands you whatever


The seitan recipe mentioned in this post is still being developed. I used tomato ketchup as per the recipe I was working from and it was too sweet for my taste, so next time it shall be tomato paste instead. Plus, I used too much oil and the results were too soft. BUT. There are other ways to slice a loaf.

I used some of the round one trial results for a breakfast burrito this morning. Cubed and seasoned with some veggie grill seasoning, and sauteed before adding the veggies, the cubes got nice and crispy and almost bacon-y and added further wonderfulness to breakfast. Too much oil turns out to be great for frying seitan. Last night I sauteed/seasoned julienned strips of seitan the same way, until crispy, and they went over pasta (to much, well at least my, acclaim).

You almost can't ruin seitan if you start out with the right ratio of dry/wet ingredients. There will always be something you can do with it even if you don't love it all by itself. If I had enough left over I was going to also try some paper thin slices (breakfast strip sized), marinated in a little liquid smoke and maybe some Worcestershire sauce, and then fried up, but alas, there are not many of the 'results' left so on to a new round of trials...

No comments:

Post a Comment