I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Monday, May 31, 2010

A plan comes together


Here is another experiment that has little guarantee of success, but we may always hope. This avocado seedling is in a pot that won't hold it for long, but it's temporary until the garden- AKA Stuff in Pots- gets moved to Dad's. Today I added a few cilantro seedlings, which will most likely start to bolt in the next few days since we're in the nineties this weekend. Just when they were almost big enough to be useful, so of course.

When the avocado plant gets moved to the next pot, I will make sure that it (the pot) is considerably bigger as I think this companion planting thing is going to be happening more and more, even after the garden is no longer just Stuff in Pots. Maybe when it gets bigger it will be able to shade the cilantro a little due to its large leaves? I don't know, but that's my plan and I'm sticking to it.

So although this avocado plant will never yield any fruit due to it living in the wrong climate, and the cilantro will not make many leaves (also due to living in the wrong climate), that's OK because it's an excuse to post my favorite guacamole recipe.

This was inspired by one Whole Foods used to sell (maybe they still do). Straight up guac is a marvelous thing, but I like it best fancied up with some extra veggies, and served with them too. So here's my contribution to the Memorial Day Fiesta.

Fiesta Guacamole

3 Haas avocados, peeled, seeded, and mashed
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup diced red, yellow, and/or green bell pepper
1/4 cup diced, drained tomato
2 Tbs. minced green onion
1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
3 Tbs. minced cilantro
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 Tbs. lime juice
1/4 tsp. liquid smoke (optional)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cumin

Garnish:
Cilantro, diced onion, diced tomato, lime wedges for squeezing, and/or hot pepper sauce

Accompaniments:
Tortilla chips, toasted pita chips, and/or crudités (cut up veggies) for serving

Mix ingredients gently, taste, and correct seasonings as necessary. Garnish as desired, and serve with chips and crudités.

Note: The jalapeno and liquid smoke can be replaced with a smoked jalapeno, if desired.

2 comments:

  1. I usually like a really simple guacamole, but I think this one could change my mind. It's sounds so delicious! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I do too- but these little bittle extras really don't depart from the essence, rather they add to it. Keep the essence as the star player, invite the supporting cast to support- everybody wins. Sometimes we do get way too complicated with things that should be bone simple.

    ReplyDelete