I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Monday, April 19, 2010

Pot luck and other muck


In keeping with the recent theme of thrown together recipes for which you really don't need a recipe, and the fact that most of the food prep is tending towards pot luck dishes recently, here's my take on good old-fashioned boring coleslaw.

Mom always put marshmallows and pineapple in her coleslaw, and naturally we loved it as kids because it was like eating candy due to the sugar level. Not really requiring (or being able to stand) the same sugar intake now as I did in youth, the marshmallows are out ('specially since they have gelatin in them- blech), but I did do it with pineapple for this most recent iteration.

Raisins aren't bad either; I've used them in coleslaw from time to time- they work in carrot salad, so why not cabbage and carrot salad?

Coleslaw can be kind of fun if you don't mind thinking outside the usual confines of cabbage and Miracle Whip. This makes a ton o' slaw.

Cafe Moi Cole Slaw

Serves your entire neighborhood

Dressing:
¾ cup mayonnaise of choice
¾ cup almond milk or other milk of choice
2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. freshly grated horseradish, or a bit more prepared horseradish
2 Tbs. brown sugar
2 tsp. dry mustard powder
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
½ tsp. celery seed (or caraway seed if you're more adventurous)

Salad:
16 cups chopped or shredded cabbage (1 large head)
2 cups shredded carrot (4-6 carrots)
½ cup minced onion
Optional: 10 oz. canned or fresh pineapple, cut in small dice or crushed

Combine dressing ingredients in a large bowl and blend until smooth with a hand blender (to get those brown sugar lumps out) or whisk.

Add cabbage, carrot, onion, and pineapple if using, and mix well. Adjust dressing and seasoning ingredients to taste.

Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight if you have time, to develop flavors. I drain the extra juice the next day as I don't like it soupy.

2 comments:

  1. I've tried to jazz up coleslaw too, but yours with the pineapple sounds really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, mangocheeks, it's the way Mom always did it. She was from Milwaukee (Wisconsin), so maybe it was a regional thing? Or maybe she saw it on the back of a box somewhere. I'm sorry I never asked where it came from.

    ReplyDelete