I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Apple season begins


The local garden store had Summer Rambo apples this past week. Summer Rambo is a good apple variety for Maryland (not a keeper though, like all summer apples). It is a large apple, and meant for pies, sauce, and apple butter. Good for eating if you allow to fully ripen. I adore apple butter and that may be the destination for a couple of these guys, if they don't all make it into cobbler first. They are big!

Update 9/20/08: Actually, after sitting around for too long, they had to become applesauce. But it was wunderbar; I will use Rambos again.

Crockpot Applesauce

7 large Rambos, peeled, cored and sliced
4 Tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. apple pie spice
maybe a pinch of salt

Place all in a crockpot on high for about three hours, and mash to the desired consistency. I like mine a little on the chunky side.

No comments:

Post a Comment