I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Starting the starter. Again.


Atticus ate the first starter on day two, and it was really kickin' A (so I almost started kickin' A as a result.) Today I mixed up the second batch, this time from Peter Reinhart's "Whole Grain Breads" (page 61.) He uses pineapple juice, whole wheat flour, and malt powder to give it an extra nudge.

The pineapple juice is supposed to thwart leuconostoc bacteria, which can make all kinds of nastiness in your sourdough.
So we'll see what's up with this little half cup of breeding ground tomorrow.

Update 9/21/08: the first starter was great, and developing fast, with no pineapple juice (but Atticus ate it); the second try turned into a microbial mess. What the muck? I will re-read Peter's chapter about starting the starter, as I must have introduced some nastiness myself (it was freakin' hot in July, probably made lots of bacterial critters real happy.) Maybe the cooler temps of late will be more conducive to slow, steady sourdough development.

No comments:

Post a Comment